Nicholas R. Beatty, DO, RMSK
Dr. Nicholas Beatty is a fellowship-trained physician, double board-certified in Sports Medicine and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, specializing in interventional spine care, sports medicine, and regenerative medicine—with a clinical focus on treating injuries of the shoulder and upper extremity. Dr. Beatty’s goal is to promote and support an active lifestyle through early and accurate diagnosis of musculoskeletal injuries or dysfunction, evidence-informed conservative treatment options whenever possible, and supporting rapid but safe return to sport or activity.
As a sports medicine physiatrist and certified musculoskeletal sonographer (RMSK), Dr. Beatty uses ultrasound and advanced imaging techniques to confirm findings from his thorough and specialized history and physical exam. Personalized exercises and physical therapy are often used in conjunction with targeted ultrasound-guided and fluoroscopy-guided injections to the site of injury (joint/cartilage, muscle/tendon/ligament, and the spine) to promote healing and restore function. Regenerative, restorative, and proliferative orthobiologic treatments are considered when indicated, including platelet rich plasma (PRP), bone-marrow-derived mesenchymal signalling/stem cell (MSC) injections, hyaluronic acid viscosupplementation, percutaneous needle tenotomy, hydrodissection, and other ultrasound-guided procedures. Dr. Beatty also utilizes targeted spinal injections to treat nerve, disc, and joint dysfunction including epidural injections, facet joint injections, radiofrequency denervation, and other disc-related treatments.
Dr. Beatty completed an ACGME-accredited Sports Medicine Fellowship at the Hospital for Special Surgery within the Department of Physiatry, with advanced training in interventional spine care, musculoskeletal ultrasound, and sports medicine, where he served as a team physician for professional sports (Long Island Nets, NBA G-League; Red Bulls II, USL and MLS reserve team), NCAA Division I sports (Saint Peter’s University), and high school athletics. He completed residency in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at Mount Sinai Hospital, where he served as Chief Resident, and completed internship at the North Shore LIJ Plainview Hospital. Dr. Beatty attended the New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, where he served as student government president and was awarded student doctor of the year. He completed his undergraduate studies in biology and computer science at Providence College.
Dr. Beatty is a certified ringside physician by the American College of Sports Medicine and Association of Ringside Physicians, in which he was recognized for scoring the highest in the country on the certification exam. He serves on the New York State Athletic Commision covering professional combat sports including the UFC, Bellator, Showtime and HBO Boxing, among others. Dr. Beatty also covers amateur boxing with USA Boxing where he serves on the Medical Advisory Board. He has served as Rock n’ Roll Half Marathon Medical Director and frequently serves as Race Physician Director for endurance events with the New York Road Runners.
Dr. Beatty has a background in human performance and strength and conditioning, and enjoys working collaboratively with physical therapists, personal trainers, and other professionals in order to optimally care for athletes and patients in a team-based approach. He has earned certifications with the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM EP-C), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA CSCS), USA Weightlifting (USAW-L1SP), Functional Movement Systems (FMS, 2005), along with extensive continuing education in exercise for special populations, combat sports fitness, metabolic training, and athletic performance. Outside of practice, Dr. Beatty enjoys brazilian jiu-jitsu, soccer, and running, and is well-versed in most sports and gym programming, which is helpful in working with individual and team-sport athletes, active individuals, and those looking to get healthier or back to the activities they love.
Dr. Beatty’s research experience lies in the clinical investigation of musculoskeletal conditions, such as knee and shoulder osteoarthritis, and regenerative/restorative medicine treatments, including bone-marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells, platelet-rich plasma (PRP), hyaluronic acid viscosupplementation, and steroid injections. Dr. Beatty is also interested in ways to improve the accuracy and efficacy of muscle, tendon, and joint treatments and has investigated the role of ultrasound in treating osteoarthritis. In addition to painful orthopedic conditions, Dr. Beatty has an interest in athletic performance and soccer/football medicine in particular. He is currently investigating the force effects of artificial turf and natural grass on soccer player performance in an ongoing IRB-approved investigation. Additional interests include longitudinal injury profiles in combat athletes (mixed martial artists, boxers, and other competitors), orthobiologic registry outcomes, and ultrasound pedagogy. He has published and presented nationally for several national societies including the AAP, AAPMR, and the AMSSM.
- NCT03130335, Title: Intra-articular Autologous Bone Marrow Aspirate Injection for Knee Osteoarthritis. Role: Co-Investigator PI: G Lutz, MD. Enrolling, Please contact Dr. Beatty.
- NCT01833598, Title: Percutaneous Needle Tenotomy (PNT) Versus Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) With PNT in the Treatment of Chronic Tendinosis. Role: Co-Investigator. PI: J Kirschner, MD. Enrolling, Please contact Dr. Beatty.
- NCT02984228, Title: Platelet-rich Plasma vs. Hyaluronic Acid for Glenohumeral Osteoarthritis. Role: Co-Investigator. PI: J Kirschner, MD. Enrolling, Please contact Dr. Beatty.
- Comparison of Plantar Forces in Soccer Players between Artificial Turf and Natural Grass: a Pilot Study. Role: Co-Investigator PI: R Williams III, MD. Ongoing, Please contact Dr. Beatty.
- Assessment of Glenohumeral and Supraspinatus Platelet Rich Plasma Injections for Shoulder Pain and Tendinosis, A retrospective Analysis. Ongoing. Please contact Dr. Beatty.
- Incidence, Prevalence, and Return to Sport Outcomes in combat athletes, a prospective longitudinal study. Ongoing. Please contact Dr. Beatty.
- Accuracy of ultrasound guided knee injections confirmed by fluoroscopy. Enrollment and study completed.
- Assessment of Adherence to the Universal Protocol in a Hospital-Based Special Procedures Unit: a PDSA Quality Improvement Project. Study completed.
- Beatty, Nicholas R., Ioonna Félix, Jessica Hettler, Peter J. Moley, and James F. Wyss. “Rehabilitation and Prevention of Proximal Hamstring Tendinopathy.” Current sports medicine reports 16, no. 3 (2017): 162-171. Harvard
- Beatty, Nicholas R. and James F. Wyss (in press). Low Back Pain and Lumbar Strain. In Xu, Rachel and Stuart Kahn (Eds.), Musculoskeletal Pain Conditions. New York, NY: Springer Press.
- Fellowship, Sports Medicine and Interventional Spine Care, Hospital for Special Surgery, 2017
- Residency, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Mount Sinai Hospital, 2016.
- Medical School, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, 2012
- BS, Providence College, 2001
- New York State Physicians and Surgeons Licensure
- Sports Medicine, American Board of PM&R
- Physiatry, American Board of PM&R
- Registered Musculoskeletal Sonographer (RMSK), Alliance for Physician Certification & Advancement
- Certified Ringside Physician, Association of Ringside Physicians (ARP) and American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- FIFA Diploma in Football Medicine
- Assistant Professor, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Attending Physician, Mount Sinai Health System, Mount Sinai Doctors Faculty Practice
- Ringside Physician, New York State Athletic Commission
- Sports Medicine
- Interventional Spine Care
- Regenerative Medicine
- Shoulder and Rotator Cuff Injury
- Elbow Tendonitis
- Osteoarthritis, Tendon, Muscle, and Ligament Injuries
- Tendonitis and Tendinosis
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
- Sports Injuries
- Mesenchymal Stem Cell Injections
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections
- Ultrasound-Guided Joint, Tendon, and Bursa Injections
- Fluoroscopically-Guided Spine Injections
- Mount Sinai Health System
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- American Academy of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- American Medical Society of Sports Medicine
- Association of Academic Physiatrists
- Spine Intervention Society
- North American Spine Society
- American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine
- Association of Ringside Physicians
- Interventional Orthopedics Foundation
- The Orthobiologic Institute
- USA Boxing